The ASHT Hand Therapy Review Course provides a comprehensive review of the evaluation and intervention processes pursued for typical diagnoses in upper extremity rehabilitation. This NEW course is an interactive review course that allows hands-on practice of palpation, special testing, manual therapy techniques, and treatment interventions discussed in the traditional Hand Therapy Review Course (HTRC). A cadaver lab will be led by a CHT to review pertinent anatomy (excluding the Chicago course, which does not offer a live cadaver lab). This course is perfect for kinesthetic learners and therapists that work in a setting with limited access to a live mentor.
The course provides an opportunity for active learning and application of hand and upper extremity therapy principles to facilitate retention of presented information. The course also offers a structured study approach to upper extremity rehabilitation that may serve as a means to prepare for the CHT Exam.
Participation in this course includes a two-day, 16-hour live course, for a total of 16 contact hours, or 1.6 CEUs. Participation to the live course will be limited to 32 attendees.
Additionally, there are two optional registration selections available:
- The first option includes the two-day, 16-hour live course plus access to the Virtual Hand Therapy Course, for a total of 36 contact hours, or 3.6 CEUs.
- The second option includes the two-day, 16-hour live course plus access to the Virtual Hand Therapy Review Course plus the widely-acclaimed book, Test Prep for the CHT Exam: Study Outline & Clinical Reference, 4th Edition, also for a total of 36 contact hours, or 3.6 CEUS.
- Participants will describe origins and insertions of the muscles of the upper quarter.
- Participants will demonstrate an ability to palpate superficial anatomical structures.
- Participants will describe subjective and objective evaluation findings consistent with structures contributing to upper quarter symptoms, including bone, joint, nerve, ligament, nerve, and non-musculoskeletal symptoms.
- Participants will perform an evaluation to screen contributions of the cervical spine on upper quarter symptoms.
- Participants will perform special testing to rule in or rule out conditions of the hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder.
- Participants will evaluate joint play in the joints of the upper extremity and create a treatment plan incorporating joint mobilization to decrease pain or improve range of motion.
- Participants will create a treatment plan for conditions of the upper quarter including traumatic hand injuries, nerve compressions, and shoulder disorders.
- Participants will create a personal learning plan to address at least three areas of personal weakness in their own practice of hand therapy.
Live, Two-day Course:
$450 for members; $500 for non-members
Live, Two-day Course Plus Virtual Hand Therapy Review Course access:
$660 for members; $765 for non-members
Live, Two-day Course Plus Virtual Hand Therapy Review Course access Plus Book, Test Prep for the CHT Exam: Study Outline & Clinical Reference, 4th Edition:
$760 for members; $900 for non-members
Continuing Education Credit:
The two-day course has been approved for 16 contact hours, or 1.6 CEUS, from the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) and the Board of Certification of Certified Athletic Trainers (BOC-ATC).
If you also select the Virtual Hand Therapy Review Course, you will receive an additional 20 contact hours, or 2.0 CEUs, for a total of 36 contact hours, or 3.6 CEUs.