Important Information on How to Register
When registering, please be certain that you complete the entire online registration process to ensure that you are indeed registered. Upon successfully registering, you will receive a registration confirmation email within 15 to 20 minutes, containing the session log-in information. If you do not receive a confirmation email and have checked your Spam folder, then you are not registered and need to go back and carefully complete the registration process again.
Arthritic and Connective Tissue Conditions: Orthosis Design
Date: May 15, 2019
Time: 6:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM MT / 8:00 PM CT / 9:00 PM ET
Deadline to register: May 15 at 3:00 PM ET
Presented by: Kim Kraft, PT, DPT, CHT
Free to ASHT members, but registration is required
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify different characteristics of orthotic material
- Identify safety precautions when fabricating orthotics
- Identify the indications and contraindications for fabricating orthotics for the upper extremity
- Describe the factors that lead to osteoarthritic joint changes
- Understand how rheumatoid joint deformities occur
- Understand the goals of therapeutic intervention for arthritic conditions
- Understand why the CMC joint is predisposed to osteoarthritis
Attendees earn 1 continuing education hour/0.1 CEU for this course.
* Please note that only those individuals who register for the session will receive the handout and quiz for CE credit. The recording is available to all ASHT members.
The required readings for this course are:
Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity (6th ed.). Skirven, T. M., Osterman, A. L., Fedorczyk, J. M., Amadio, P. C. (Eds.).(2011). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby. ISBN: 978-0-323-05602-1
Review Chapters 102-106; 122-127
View the following Videos:
Video 105-3 "CMC Arthroplasty" (Badia 2007)
Video 103-1 "CMC Splint" (Biese 2010)
Video 103-2 "Resting Pan" (Biese 2010)
*Note: The video is online content. When you access the book, “Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity,” information on how to access the videos is located inside the cover.
Fundamentals of Hand Therapy (2nd ed.). Cooper, C. (Ed.).(2014). St. Louis, MS: Mosby.
Review Chapters 7, 33
Post-Session UE Institute E-Community Q&A
After each live session, The UE Institute E-Community will host question and answer sessions related to each monthly online session as well as general information and communication exchanges for novice hand therapists to advance their professional career and/or their preparation for the CHT exam.